Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Wandering...


There is a huge sculpture not far from where I live which looks like a giant Kuan Yin. She is off in the distance, maybe a couple of kilometres away. From my balcony I see her everyday and wonder what wonders she may hold in what I imagine is a fine and splendid temple.

Yesterday I decided that I would seek her out. After my lunch I leapt on my bike and sped off in the direction of the colossal god, keeping track of visual markers along the way.

The first thing I noticed was a lot of shops selling incense and spirit money and other paraphernalia related to god worship. However, there were no Kuan Yin gods but the god of land, or Land God known as “Tu Di Gong” or “Fu De Zengseng”.

This took me by surprise, expecting Kuan Yin but discovering the Land God! Hmm. Well this could be even more interesting as I don’t know that much about the Land God.

I watched for signs along the road, and of course everything was in Chinese, but I did know the character for “land” ( ) so I made an assumption and followed those signs. I stopped at one shop and asked the owner if I could take a picture of the Land God sculpture outside his business. This was the first of many photographs I would take during the next 2 hours.

But hold on a second there, dear readers. What the hey! What is the purpose of my writing all this stuff? To tell you what kind of mischief I have gotten into? Hell, no! Why am I doing this damn blog in the first place?!

Now that’s a good question. Why indeed?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think you should keeping writing - you never know what or where they will lead. your stories are intriguing to say the least. gives me a different perspective on the world. go for it!